Working with nothing but natural materials, nimble fingers, and a vision in their head of the final product, campers will drop down into a meditative space as a basket slowly takes shape in their hands.
Campers will experience how this ancient art form helps clear the mind while growing the ability to focus and remain present in the moment. A handmade basket makes a lovely companion for any forest excursion, perfect for gathering your wild edibles.
2022 Dates TBD
Registration is now closed for the 2022 season.
Camps fill fast. We offer payment plans and waitlists.
Time: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Available discounts are listed on the Summer Camps page
- $100 non-refundable deposit due at registration
- Limited Partial Scholarships available (see below)
Why Choose Forest Floor?
We help children have fun, be healthy, and achieve their fullest potential with nature connection mentoring.
- Health benefits of nature connection
- Learn wilderness skills & traditional crafts
- Meet new friends and reunite with old ones
- Unforgettable adventures every day
- Skilled and caring mentors
- Exciting wilderness experiences
- Convenient in-town drop-off & pickup
- Boost long term cognitive & social development
This program takes place on private land in Weaverville. Drop-off and Pick-up are right there. There is no van transportation.
The Lavenburg Homestead
38 McDaris Cove Rd, Weaverville NC, 28787
9:00 – 9:15am
2:45 – 3:00pm
Clothing and Gear
Our programs are all-outdoors, with rain shelters available as needed. Children must arrive each morning fully prepared with a backpack, packed lunch, snack, full water bottle, and clothes appropriate for being out in the weather.
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
A family is eligible for either: (1) a full refund if the cancellation occurs before the start of the program; or (2) a pro-rated refund for any unattended program days; under the following conditions:
– Forest Floor cancels any programs due to COVID-19 or the Sars-Cov-2 (novel coronavirus) pandemic.
– A family needs to cancel because they are directly adversely impacted by COVID-19 (job loss, illness, or caring for sick family members).
AND in the event of cancellation (either on our part or yours)if you are in a position to donate your registration as a scholarship it would be a huge help to both Forest Floor and families in need.
Please note: Our standard cancellation & refund policy will apply for all cancellations other than the two conditions listed above. See our FAQ for details on our standard refund policy.
We offer limited partial scholarships to individuals who otherwise could not afford our programs. We prioritize scholarships for people of color and single parents with financial needs. We understand that people of color experience more financial and institutional barriers to participation, and wish to help counteract that by offering scholarships.
If you are a family with means, please consider donating to our scholarship fund. Donations of a 1/4, 1/2, or FULL scholarship can be made during the standard registration process. For more substantial donations please contact us to discuss details.
Limited partial scholarships are available. Scholarship funds are generated exclusively from generosity of donations toward the scholarship fund. Scholarships are limited to the sum of these funds and are awarded based on equitable distribution. Full scholarships will be considered for families in great need, but most scholarship applicants should expect to pay at least half of tuition.
To apply for a scholarship FIRST please register for the program/camp, choose the payment plan option, and only pay a $100 deposit at time of registration.
AFTER RESERVING A SPOT, please follow the link below to fill out the application.
If your scholarship request can't be approved or isn't the amount of discount that you need, we will provide a full refund of the deposit.
2022 COVID Safety Policies
Our COVID-19 safety policy is based primarily on pre-screening and monitoring. It is our current position that the single largest preventative factor at our programs is the fact that we are open-air and outdoors(with the exception of van travel).
Pre-Screening and Monitoring
- If any child shows any signs of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell) we will not allow them to attend the program that day. If during the program day a child displays signs or symptoms of illness they will be separated from other students and parents contacted to pick them up.
- All staff will be self-monitoring for symptoms of COVID-19. If they develop symptoms, they will notify their supervisor and stay home. Any staff person who develops symptoms of illness during the work day will be separated from students and other staff and sent home ASAP.
Masks & Social Distancing:
- While in vans all students and staff are required to wear masks for the duration of the trip.
- At our Shope Creek Wilderness location children & staff will not be required to wear masks or social distance, but will be supported to the best of our ability if they choose to do so.
We will do our best to fully support any child or staff who chooses more restrictive social distancing or mask wearing than the policies outlined above.