Asheville Blacksmithing Classes for Teens
Registration will open with finalized Fall 2023 schedules by the end of June.
Jump to our completed Spring 2023 schedule and session descriptions.
About Saturday Series Programs
Based on our popular summer camps and homeschool programs, Forest Floor has launched school year blacksmithing programs that run on Saturdays only. Each program will take place on four Saturdays.
Participation is capped at just 10 students, and run by two skilled Blacksmiths who are also trained nature-connection mentors. You won’t find better teacher to student ratios.
Participants will gain strength, self-confidence, and an important skill – while enjoying time outdoors with our caring mentors.
Your kids are going to LOVE IT.
Children must be 12-16 years of age when the program starts.
Why Choose Forest Floor?
We mentor children to have fun, be healthy, and achieve their fullest potential by connecting with nature.
- Health benefits of nature connection
- Learn wilderness skills & traditional crafts
- Meet new friends and reunite with old ones
- Unforgettable adventures every day
- Skilled and caring mentors
- Exciting wilderness experiences
- Convenient in-town drop-off & pickup
- Flexible hours for drop-off & pickup
Previously full programs often have additional spots open up due to cancellations. So please sign-up for the waitlist by going through the standard registration process. No payment is required.
2023 Spring Blacksmithing Saturdays
Two Sessions – 4 Days Each
March: 4, 11, 18 & 25
May: 6, 13, 20 & 27
Create useful tools from red hot metal using a forge, hammer and anvil.
One Session – 4 Days
April: 1, 8, 15 & 29
Create a handmade knife from scratch using a variety of blacksmith & shop tools.
Our Saturday blacksmithing programs run from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
10:00 – 10:15 am at Haw Creek Commons
4:00 – 4:15 pm at Haw Creek Commons
Our In-town Drop-Off and Pick-Up Location
We are no longer at the Asheville School in West Asheville.
Our new location since spring 2020 is Haw Creek Commons, in East Asheville off Tunnel Road.
Haw Creek Commons is a community co-working and activity center where Forest Floor has a presence. See the location on Google Maps.
COVID Safety Policies
Saturday Series 2023
Our COVID-19 safety policy is based primarily on pre-screening and monitoring. It is our current position that the single largest preventative factor at our programs is the fact that we are open-air and outdoors.
Pre-Screening and Monitoring
Any child arriving in the morning with signs or symptoms of COVID-19 will not be permitted to attend programs that day. If during the program day a child displays signs or symptoms of illness they will be separated from other students and parents contacted to pick them up.
- All staff will be self-monitoring for symptoms of COVID-19. If they develop symptoms, they will notify their supervisor and stay home. Any staff person who develops symptoms of illness during the work day will be separated from students and other staff and sent home ASAP.
- Children and staff will not be required to wear masks, but will be fully supported if they choose to do so.
We will do our best to fully support any child or staff who self-selects for more restrictive social distancing or mask wearing than the policies outlined above.