One of the most essential of human capabilities: To form in our mind a vision of something that doesn’t yet exist, and then use our own two hands to bring that vision into reality. This is the heart of crafting… and it’s so much fun.
So come and craft with us! During our time in the forest we’ll engage in a rich series of natural crafts while connecting deeply to the earth with lots of nature games and activities. Students will learn to harvest natural materials and use them to create beautiful and useful items.
We have lots potential crafts, which may include:
- Knife Safety & Wood Carving
- Baskets – free-form woven honeysuckle makes a strong and beautiful container
- Wet and needle felting – use wool to make neck pouches
- Natural Dyes – use plants to dye silk scarves or bandanas
- Paint rocks – grind up stones found in the creek to make natural paint
- Gourd Craft – decorative fruit bowls or small eating bowls
- Bamboo craft – functional chopsticks or cups made from this amazing grass
- Pottery – beads and pinch pots fired in an open-pit campfire
The projects listed are examples, not necessarily exactly what we will do. Ultimately project selection will depend on the availability of wild resources and student interest.
Only 4 spots left.
Time: 9:30 am - 4:15 pm
Inclusive of drop-off & pick-up window
Dates: Tuesdays, Feb. 27 - May 21
Breaks for Earthskills Rendezvous April 16
12 program days total
For Drop-off & Pick-Up and other logistics info, see below.
- Monthly payment plan available
- $100 non-refundable deposit due at registration
- Limited Partial Scholarships available (see below)
Registration is now open for Spring 2024.
Why Choose Forest Floor?
We help children have fun, be healthy, and achieve their fullest potential with nature connection mentoring.
- Health benefits of nature connection
- Learn wilderness skills & traditional crafts
- Meet new friends and reunite with old ones
- Unforgettable adventures every day
- Skilled and caring mentors
- Exciting wilderness experiences
- Convenient in-town drop-off & pickup
- Boost long term cognitive & social development
This program (and most others) takes place at Shope Creek Wilderness. The exceptions are Blacksmithing, which is based at Haw Creek Commons, and programs in our West Buncombe location at Otherside Farms.
For programs occurring at Shope Creek Wilderness, parents may drop-off and pick-up at the program location or at Haw Creek Commons for van transportation.
For Blacksmithing, parents must drop off and pickup at Haw Creek Commons. Programs at Otherside Farms have different logistics.
Haw Creek Commons (with van shuttle)
315 Old Haw Creek Road, Asheville NC
Drop-off between 9:30 am - 9:45 am
Pick-up between 4:00 pm - 4:15 pm
Shope Creek Wilderness (program site no shuttle)
472 Shope Creek Road, Asheville, NC
Drop-off between 9:45 am - 10:00 am
Pick-up between 3:45 pm - 4:00 pm
Clothing and Gear
Our programs are all-outdoors, with rain shelters available as needed. Children must arrive each morning fully prepared with a backpack, packed lunch, and clothes appropriate for being out in the weather. Families new to Forest Floor may need to purchase additional gear to ensure their children will be fully equipped for wet and colder weather as the season progresses. For a full packing and clothing list see our FAQ.
We offer limited partial scholarships to individuals who otherwise could not afford our programs.
If you are a family with means, please consider donating to our scholarship fund. Donations of a 1/4, 1/2, or FULL scholarship can be made during the standard registration process. For more substantial donations please contact us to discuss details.
Limited partial scholarships are available. Scholarship funds are generated exclusively from generosity of donations toward the scholarship fund. Scholarships are limited to the sum of these funds and are awarded based on equitable distribution. Full scholarships will be considered for families in great need, but most scholarship applicants should expect to pay at least half of tuition.
To apply for a scholarship FIRST please register for the program/camp, choose the payment plan option, and only pay a $100 deposit at time of registration.
AFTER RESERVING A SPOT, please follow the link below to fill out the application.
If your scholarship request can't be approved or isn't the amount of discount that you need, we will provide a full refund of the deposit.